Story: I ate this first time when i was a very small girl. it was at Bhimavaram , my dad's friends place. i loved it the moment i tasted it. From then on , i used to ask my mom to make it. The same taste never happened again, but i keep trying....
- Skin of 2 large ridge gourds, wash and peel the skin
- 1/2 cup ridge gourd pieces
- 2 green chillis
- 1-2 dry red chillis
- 1 tbsp minappa pappu
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- very small lemon sized tamarind
- 1 small piece of bellam [jaggery]
- 2 tsps oil
- For poppu
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 dry red chillis
big pinch hing
1/2 tsp oil
- Heat a tsp of oil in a cooking vessel, add mina pappu, cumin seeds and red chillis and stir fry for a few seconds till the dal turns red.
- Remove and keep aside.
- In the same vessel, add another tsp of oil and add the green chillis and saute for a mt.
- Add the ridge gourd peels (chop them into small pieces) and fry on medium heat for 4-5 mts. Add Ridge Gourd pieces. Fry till its cooked.
- Add the tamarind to it
- Once cool, grind the daal, cumin, redchillies first till coarsely ground, add the rest of the sauteed ingredients along with tamarind and salt and grind to a slightly coarse paste.
- Heat half a tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them pop, add dry red chillis followed by hing and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the seasoning over the ground pachadi and serve with hot rice & Ghee.